Nagkeshar, Messua ferrea is a drug of choice for problems with slow digestion and it helps to get rid of the Ama deposited in the digestive system. It is a herb of choice for the natural cure of bleeding piles when taken with buttermilk. It also works as a hemostatic herb- which reduces the excessive bleeding from the body, so Nagkeshar is proficiently used in the conditions like heavy menstrual flow and even in a small condition of bleeding gums.
Iron Wood Tree- Nagkeshara is close to the great herb of Keshara- Nagkeshara works similarly as an aphrodisiac just like Keshara.
English Name: Iron Wood tree, Cobra’s saffron.
Effect on Doshas:
Kapha-pitta-Pacifying so useful in disorders induced by Kapha-Pitta and also a drug for the Kapha Pitta body Type.
Ayurvedic Pharmacology of Nagkeshar
|Kashaya, tikta;||Laghu and ruksha||Slightly ushna||Katu|
- It is beneficial to improve digestive capacity of stomach so that undigested wasteful substances (Ama) are not harm the body system.
- Thus helps in the- Ayurvedic treatement of Fibromyalgia, Ankylosing spondylitis and Rheurmatoid Arthritis.
- It is mixed with SHATDAUT ghee is applied on burning palms and soles.
- Nagkeshar has brain tonic it is useful in brain debility and hysteria.
- This is used in anorexia, distaste, dyspepsia, emesis, worms
- It acts as a haemostatic in bleeding piles, dysentery and menorrhagia It should be given as a single drug.
- It is used in cough induced by kapha, dyspnoea and hiccoughs as it alleviates kapha.
- It is used as a aphrodisiac
- It has Diuretic, hence useful in retention of urine and works well in Ayurvedic tretament of Chronic renal failure.
- It is used in skin disorder, erysipelas.
- This is beneficial to treat chronic fever and excessive thrist.
- It is used to relieve pain in throat and head region.
|Best Recommended Uses|
|Nagkeshara is very useful in bleeding disorders especially bleeding piles and excessive bleeding during the menstrual cycle. |
Basically, it corrects the metabolism of the body and pacifies the fire component of the body.
|Doses and Useful Parts|
|Seeds and Stamen are the useful parts of Nagkeshara and its recommended dose is 2-3 gm taken in powder form|