The sciatic nerve is one of the primary nerves affecting the lower limbs. It runs from the lower back down to the feet. Sciatica is a condition that arises when this sciatic nerve becomes compressed or inflamed, and it causes pain, altered sensation, or numbness in areas supplied by the nerve. Low back aches and sciatica pain occur together in many cases due to slip discs. Here we will understand sciatica pain and will discuss the Ayurvedic treatment of sciatica.
What is Sciatic Nerve?
The sciatic nerve is the longest and widest single nerve in the human body. It originates from several roots in the lower back-lumbar region, between L1 to S1. The sciatic nerve runs down through each side of the buttocks, then branches out into nerve endings that travel to each leg. The sciatic nerve controls many muscles in the lower legs and provides sensation to your thighs, legs, and feet.
When something irritates the nerve, pain radiates through this nerve and it has some definite causes.
Causes of Sciatica Pain
A herniated disc within the spine
A disc bulge puts pressure on the sciatic nerve roots, which leads to discomfort known as sciatica.
The narrowing of the space within the spinal canal compresses nerves and leads to sciatica pain.
Spondylosis, Spondylolysis, Spondylolisthesis
Spondylosis, spondylolysis, and spondylolisthesis are some of the causes behind the compression on the sciatic nerve and causing sciatica pain. These conditions cause misalignment in the spinal canal.
Inflammation in the joints can often lead to inflammation in the sciatic nerve, which runs along the spine.
The muscle known as the piriformis, located in the rear end area, can go into spasms and cause sciatica.
The fetus in the uterus often puts pressure on the sciatic nerve, which can cause irritation and pain known as sciatica.
Pressure on the sciatic nerve from a fall or other trauma can cause Sciatica Pain.
Symptoms of Sciatica Pain
- Sciatica is typically diagnosed when patients experience pain in the low back which may travel down to the buttocks and/or legs. The pain is typically described as though it were a shooting or an electrical feeling.
- Numbness also associates with Pain of sciatica.
- The prickling, pins-and-needles feeling that often happens when your foot falls asleep.
- The affected side will experience a loss of muscle mass (the muscles will appear loose and flabby).
- A loss of muscle strength.
- When the pain aggravates body can tilt to the side.
- The condition can also lead to stress-induced insomnia, anxiety, and other symptoms.
Treatment of Sciatica Problem
The goal of sciatica treatment is to find the root cause of the problem and then relieve the pain and other symptoms associated with sciatica.
Allopathy Treatment for Sciatica
Sciatica is a medical condition that typically heals over time without any treatment. But here are a few things that allopathy follows-
- If you do choose to treat sciatica, early treatments usually include managing symptoms with medication, rest, traction, heat, and cold therapy.
- For patients with pain that does not dissipate from the above treatments, epidural steroid injections are available. These soothe symptoms by reducing inflammation.
- One way to prevent back pain from recurring is by doing exercises that strengthen your back.
- When pain does not relieve completely or if the pain tends to recur, patients have advised surgery, to remove the pressure on the nerve. However, even with surgery, many patients tend to get relapses of pain and other symptoms.
Ayurvedic treatment for sciatica
After an initial consultation, ayurvedic treatment for sciatica is tailored to the individual based on several causative factors. This determines their vulnerability to the condition. The objective of this type of treatment is to change the root cause factors.
To address the symptoms like pain, Ayurvedic medicines, oil, and herbal massages, and other therapies like Kativasthi help patients with sciatica pain.
To strengthen the tissues and correct the underlying causes, the most important treatment comprises Niruha Basti, Anuvasana Basti, etc are used along with diet and lifestyle changes.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Sciatica at Sukhayu Ayurved
At Sukhayu Ayurved, we offer a complete and successful treatment for sciatica.
At Sukhayu Ayurved Hospital, we employ the holistic and Uttam practice of ayurvedic medicine.
With this approach, each patient’s individual situation is taken into account to address both current symptoms as well as any pre-existing conditions that may have led to their illness. We find this method most effective for mild cases where symptoms are not yet severe.
In case the pain is severe and doesn’t respond well to medication, we suggest therapies like Pottali- Podikkizhi, Ilakkizhi, Pizhichil, Kati Basti, and various types of Basti.
The Panchakarma therapies we administer at our hospital have proven effective in relieving even the most complicated cases.
Patients who are in severe pain from issues such as Inter Vertebral Disc prolapse, Spondylolisthesis, or spondylolysis and are advised to get surgery are admitted into our hospital. Proper treatment of a herniated disc in lumbar spine solves the sciatica pain permanently.
These patients receive therapies that include rest and treatment under close observation. For pain relief, these patients also do Yoga Therapy.
Why Sukhayu Ayurved for Sciatica Pain?
- If you’re looking for an ayurvedic treatment for sciatica that will improve your quality of life in the long run, look no further than Sukhayu Ayurveda. We offer excellent surgery-free alternatives for Sciatica and other conditions.
- With more than 20 years of experience, we know how to create a custom healing solution for you.
- The Ayurvedic treatment, which has been used for years, is both safe and effective.
- Our ayurvedic treatment of sciatica is natural and holistic
- Treatment of sciatica at Sukhayu Ayurved Hospital reduces the chances of a recurrence.