Chirayata; Swertia chirata is one of the best pungent herbs in Ayurveda. It makes Chirayata the best drug of choice for Kapha and Pitta-related diseases.
Chirayata removes the toxins (Ama) and detoxifies the body completely and it makes it a good herb for rejuvenation. It is one of the herbs which reduces toxins and also gives the best nutrition to the body. It reduces the extra body fat and weight and gives proper energy to the body. Being a strong bitter herb, It is a good analgesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancerous (not to Cancer sun sign people) herb as is Neem.
English Name:- Chiretta.
Effect on Doshas:
It is kapha pittashamak and therefore it is useful in diseases due to kapha pitta.
Ayurvedic Pharmacology of Chriyata
- Decoction is used to clean discharging wounds. Persons suffering from generalized itching are asked to take bath with its decoction.
- This improves digestive system to stimulate liver for proper secretion of bile.
- It increases appetite, relieves thirst, helps in amapachan.
- This have laxative, therefore it is beneficial in all digestive problems, like Hepatitis and IBS.
- It is useful for loss of appetite and dyspepsia.
- This also purifies the blood.
- This is beneficial to reduce inflammation.
- This is used to reducing blood sugar levels to control diabetes.
- This is haemostatic therefore useful in bleeding piles
- It is helpful in jaundice and anemia.
- It is an expectorant and antiasthmatic. It is useful in asthma produced by obstruction of air passage.
- This purifies breast milk by digesting rasa dhatu, it produces pure and easily digestible milk.
- Chirayata is worms destroying properties and is used in killing intestinal worms. An infusion of the herb is taken for this purpose.
- It is useful in malarial fever.
- Children’s clothes dipped in decoction of this and dried are given to children to wear so that the temperature is reduced.It produces sweating and the wearer feels relieved Enlargement of spleen is also reduced with this.
|Best Recommended Uses
|Chirayata is best recommended for improving the health status of the body. It improves secretion of bile juices from the liver; improves metabolism of body and helps in better elimination of toxins from the body.
|Doses and Useful Parts
|Decoction 60 – 100 ml. powder- 2-6 gms , Whole plant.