Bilva: Aegle marmelos; is especially useful in the management of digestive disturbances like IBS and colitis as it improves the all-round functioning of the digestive system.
Bael itself means which kills all the diseases. As per Ayurveda, all the diseases are related to the disturbed digestive system somewhere and it corrects the digestive system in all aspects so it makes sense to call this plant Bilva. This Ayurvedic herb is also useful in the management of hemorrhoids and fluid retention in the body. It also increases the strength of the body.
Effect on Doshas:
Bilva is kaphashamak by ruksha, laghu, Kashaya and bitter and vatashamak by ushna property.
Ayurvedic Pharmacology of Bilva
- Leaf powder is put in the eyes and paste of leaves is applied over the eyelids.
- Leaves powder is used for fomentation in disease condition like swelling pain in ribs.
- Leaves of this ayurvedic herb alleviates oedema and pain.
- Fruit powder works as a cardiac tonic, haemostaic and alleviates swelling, hence is root used in cardiac dedillity and palpitation.
- Bilva unripe fruits work as appetizer, digestant and astringet opposite to this ripened fruits are sweet and mild laxative.
- Its leaves powder is liver stimulant so perfects the functions of the liver.
- Root bark, unripe fruit are useful in loss of appetite, diarrheoa, dysentery, sprue, pain in abdomen- in the treatment of IBS.
- Unripe fruit ground to paste and cooked with sugar is very beneficial in bleeding piles- Bilvavleha you can buy from eVaidyaJi.
- Its sharbat of ripe fruit pulp can be used as it act as digestive and alleviates diarrhoea.
- Leaf powder mixed with black pepper used in jaundice.
- Fruit (ripe or unripe) useful for prevention of cholera.
- Bilva is haemostatic it is also used in hemorrhoids and in other diseases with tendency of bleeding.
|Best Recommended Uses of Bilva
|Fruit powder calms down the extra heat in the body in this way it corrects gastric disturbances like diarrhea, IBS and colitis. Leaves powder is specially useful in diabetes to regulate the blood sugar and minimize diabetic complications.
|Doses and Useful Parts of Bael
|The dose of powder of fruit/ of leaves is 3-6 gm while the juice is used in dose of 10-20 ml