Punarnava; Boerhavia diffusa also known as spreading hogweed itself means which becomes anew every year.
Similar to its name it rejuvenates the whole body i.e. with routine use of Punarnava fellow become young again – full of vigor and vitality. It corrects the digestive system, alleviates fluid retention and very useful in managing heart diseases. It also benefits in anemia, hernia and respiratory distress. It can also be taken in liver problems and managing lipids and cholesterol in healthy limits.
Effect on Doshas:
Tridoshahar, pittaghana by Madhura, tikta and astringent. kapha-vata shamak by ushna veerya.
Ayurvedic Pharmacology of Punarnava
|Madhura, Tikta, Kashaya
|Laghu , Ruksha
- It has a diuretics, Anti-inflammatory and carminative properties.
- For anti-inflammatory effect, It should use with sunthi.
- It is also a good Rasayana so useful in Aamavata- Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Root is anticonvulsant, analgesic, expectorant, CNS depressant, laxative, diuretic, abortifacient.
- It has been reported to increase serum protein level and re duce urinary protein extraction in clinical trials in patients suffering with nephrotic syndrome.
- Punarnava is used for local application in the form of poultice or fermentation in oedema.
- Leaf juice is used in the eyes for topical application.
- It act as diuretic in dysuria.
- Roots rubbed in honey are locally applied for cataract, chronic conjunctivitis, blepharitis.
- It useful in reducing swelling and foul smelling in skin disorders.
- It is useful in heart disease, anemia, oedema.
- Leaves vegetable is consumed to reduce oedema.
|Best Recommended Uses
|Punarnava corrects the water metabolism of the body in this way it is very useful in all health problems which cause fluid retention and edema in the body.
|Doses and Useful Parts
|The dose of roots powder/ seeds powder/ whole plant is 2-4 gm while juice of fresh roots should be taken in dose of 5-10ml.