Haritaki; Terminalia chebula is termed as the mother of human beings. As a mother never does bad for her progeny similarly this never does bad for the health of a fellow.
Haritaki benefits a fellow in all aspects. It improves the working of digestive system, rejuvenates each and every part of the body; cleanse out the unnecessary wastes from the body; acts as a nervine tonic and improves eye sight. It is said about Haritaki that there is no disease which cannot be cured by this. This is told to be used in all seasons with different carriers (Anupan) and it will maintain the health in all seasons.
Effect on Doshas:
- By virtue of its Madhura, tikta and Kashaya rasa, it is pittaghana.
- By its katu, tikta and Kashaya rasa, it is kaphaghana.
- By its amla and madhur rasa, it is vata Ghana.
- It is helpful in many tridoshajanya disease, particulary useful as a rasayan in vatavyadhi.
Ayurvedic Pharmacology of Haritaki
- It act as pittaghni in combination with sugar and vataghni when given when given with ghee or jiggery.
- Roasted fruit can be given in tridosha diseases.
- It is useful in weakness of the nerves and brain as well as in vata disorders and diminished vision.
- This is useful in loss of appetite, pain in abdomen, constipation, ascites, heamorroids, hepatomegaly, splenomegaly and parasites.
- It relieves constipation in chronic abdominal diseases, specially the constipation type of Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Bark if eaten after chewing it properly in the mouth, improves digestion.
- Its powder used as a tooth powder, strengthens the gums.
- Rhinitis, cough, hoarseness of voice, hiccups and dyspnoea are relieved by it as it reduces congestion in Asthma and helps in Ayurvedic treatment of Asthma.
- It is useful in erysipelas and other skin disorders, prevents accumulation of pus in skin disease and act as rasayana.
- Fruit and oil is extremely helpful in healing of wounds.
- Local application is anti inflammatory.
- In conjunctivitis, it can be used for application on the eyelids.
- Decoction is used for washing wounds and also used for gargling in disease of the mouth and throat.
|Best Recommended Uses
|Haritaki is useful in balancing all three Doshas. For Kapha, disease powder should be taken with Saindhav Salt, for Pitta diseases with candy sugar, and for Vata diseases it should be taken with Ghruta.
|Doses and Useful Parts
|The dose of Haritaki fruit powder is 3-6 gm