Kutaki, Piccorrhiza kurroa removes both Kapha and Pitta (when these are in excess) from the body and purifies the channels associated with the Kapha and Pitta. In conditions where Kapha blocks the Pitta channels- it causes the congestive failure of the heart in such conditions when Kutaki is given in proper quantity- It causes loose motion and it relaxes the heart and can prove life-saving.
If you are prone to congestive heart failure and in case where liver channels are blocked and bile is not circulating well (bile stone formation) tendencies- Pitta Body Type persons.
English Name: – Hellebore.
Effect on Doshas:
Kaphapittashodhak so useful in kaphapittaj diseases.
Ayurvedic Pharmacology of Kutaki
- It is bitter to taste, if given in small dose it stimulates taste buds and increases appetite, liver stimulant and cholagogue.
- In excess amount acts as a purgative.
- In small doses is useful in conditions like loss of appetite, liver disorders and jaundice which are due to obstruction in biliary passages.
- In constipation, flatulence and ascites, it acts as a purgative if given in large dose.
- When given in congestive cardiac failure causes a watery diarrhea. This reduces the circulatory hydrostatic pressure on the heart and there by the workload on it.
- It reduces pulse rate which is similar to the action of digitalis.
- In heart disease Kutaki and Glycyrrhiza in equal quality with sugar, is prescribed.
- It acts as a diuretic in diabetes.
- This is best remedy for purification of milk in lactative mothers.
|Best Recommended Uses|
|Kutaki is among the best Pitta pacifying Ayurveda herbs. It stimulates proper secretion of bile juices from liver and corrects all functions of liver.|
|Doses and Useful Parts|
|0.75 – 1 gm (minimum) 3-6 gm. (purgative and chronic fever) , Root|