Ashwagandha Withania somnifera is among the best Ayurveda herbs which nourish each and every part of the body and thus improve the nutritive status of the body.
Ashwagandha; as a word means which smells like horse and it is renowned for imparting vigor and vitality like that of a horse. It is also useful in Arthritis – both rheumatoid and osteo arthritis because it supports the muscles as well as cartilage parts of joints. It reduces fluid retention, nourishes the body especially the skin and increase body strength. Routine use of Ashwagandha powder also delays the signs of ageing that makes it a drug of choice as Rasayana.
Effect on Doshas:
It is vata shamaka. It is used in the diseases induced by kapha and vata.
Ayurvedic Pharmacology of Ashwagandha
|Madhur, Tikta, Kashaya
- It is well known for its aphrodisiac property.
- It is used in semen disorders and lucorrhoea caused due to endometeritis.
- It is a sedative and nervine tonic, it helps in atonic nerves, faiting, giddiness and insomnia.
- Its bark powder is appetizer, carminative and anthelmintic and hence is used in abdominal pain, constipation and worms.
- It has an effect on the heart, purifies blood and reduces oedema.
- Decoction is used in reheumatoid arthritis.
- It is an expectorant and antiasthmatic property (helpful in treatment of Asthma), due to which it is useful in cough.
- Powder mixed with ghee, sugar and milk is good tonic.
- It is diuretic and so used in oliguria or anurea.
- It increases weight, improves immunity. Used in debilitating diseases and marasmus in children.
|Best Recommended Uses
|It is specially indicated in male infertility as it improves the quality as well as the quantity of sperms.
|Doses and Useful Parts
|The dose of root powder of Ashwagandha is 3-6 g.