The original word in the term Bhramari is Bhramar (humming bee). The characteristic of this Pranayama is to create a sound like that of the humming bee.
- Sit in Padmasana or Sukhasana.
- Raise bent arms to shoulder level & close external ear canals with thumbs.
- Place index & middle fingers gently on closed eyes which look upwards.
- Place ring fingers gently on the sides of the nostrils.
- Place little fingers on upper lip to feel flow of air through the nostrils.
- Inhale and fill the lungs completely.
- Exhale slowly and produce sound of the humming bee through larynx (sound box) while exhaling through nostrils.
- Return to original position & gently open the eyes.
- Initially do it for 5 to 7 times.
- Gradually increase up to 15 times.
- Bhramari Pranayamamakes the voice sweet and gently, and helps clarity of speech.
- With regular practice of Bhramari Pranayama; Breathing becomes deep and subtle.
- Bhramari Pranayama is useful for hypertension and depression and aids brain cells.