For diseases of urinary system, Ayurveda has detailed about the disease and their treatment. Charaka and Sushruta both stalwarts of Ayurveda, discussed and detailed these diseases. About the pathology and treatment. Charaka Samhita talks about the urinary disease in chapter of “Trimarmiya Chikitsa”. In this chapter all aspects of treatment of dysuria and renal calculi are detailed. But Sushruta being a surgeon has detailed the diseases of urinary system.
Here we will learn all about the Ayurvedic urology. We will discuss all aspects under following headings-
- Ayurveda about urinary system
- Approach of Ayurveda about urology
- Mutravaha Srotas
- Apan Vayu
- Ayurveda treatment for Urinary system diseases
- Urological diseases we treat at Sukhayu
So here we go….
Ayurveda about urinary system
The first reference of urinary system in Ayurveda text books is about “prevention of disease”. Certainly, Ayurveda is always concerned about prevention. Therefore while discussing the natural urges and complications associated with these urges. This reference talks about suppression of urge to urinate and diseases associated with same.
बस्तिमेहनयोः शूलं मूत्रकृच्छ्रं शिरोरुजा | विनामो वङ्क्षणानाहः स्याल्लिङ्गं मूत्रनिग्रहे||६||
When someone suppress urge of urination, it leads to-
- Pain in bladder and phallus
- dysuria- problem in micturition.
- person bends forward and
- distension of the lower abdomen is evident.
This simple looking description of the condition relates to complicated conditions like-
- Incontinence of urine
- Weakness in pelvic floor muscles
- Recurrent urinary tract infections etc.
So this is clear Ayurveda has a deep understanding of urinary system. This knowledge about problems like holding pee is very much new to modern science. But Ancient system like Ayurveda was more aware about these minor details. On the front of cure, Ayurveda is more scientific.
When we look at the text and try to find out the approach of Ayurveda about your
Approach of Ayurveda about Urology
Ayurveda has a beautiful approach towards everything. This amazing science looks at one thing from different dimensions. This is applicable to urinary system too. Ayurveda identifies many of the organs from urinary system-
In the context of 13 different types of micro-channels or srotas of the body. Ayurveda describes the Mutravaha Srotas as the most fundamental element of urinary tract.
- According to Sushruta
This channel is in pair.
Urinary bladder and External Urinary Organs are its roots.
- According to Charaka and Vagbhatta
Roots of channels for urinary system are- urinary bladder and inguinal region.
The problems of these channels are as below-
- Excessive urination
- Abnormality in urine like – color and odor of urine.
- Change in the viscosity (thickness of urine)
- Painful micturition.
Beside these channels of urine, Ayurveda also talks about the following organs and structures in relation to the urinary system.
Basti: The organ
When we name basti the thing which comes up in mind is- one of panchakarma treatment. But, the one which we are talking about here is- an organ. And here are the points which talk about this organ, in Ayurveda.
- The urinary bladder is thin walled structure.
- The shape of basti is -gourd-shaped.
- The location of basti is in the pelvis.
- The main function of Basti is to store the formed urine.
- Basti is a hollow structure- which hold the urine.
- There are two muscles in the basti.
This again affirms the deep anatomical knowledge about urinary system.
Now comes the most important part of the Ayurvedic philosophy about urinary system.
There is a subtype of Vata- Apan Vayu. This Vayu controls excretion and holding of urine. Everything is controlled by this subtype. In every disease or urinary system, Apan vayu disturbs.
The apan vayu analogies with-
- Microflora of the intestine
- Urinary and rectal neural plexuses
- Spinal cord and many other aspects.
Because seat of Vata dosha is in large intestine. Therefore, any disturbances in this region will lead to the problem with all types of Vata doshas.
Other than these few, Ayurveda text mentions the following structures in detail.
- Vrikk– Kidneys
- Mutra Vahini– Ureter
- Ashthila– Prostate Gland
Thus Ayurveda has in depth understanding of the urinary system. We need to understand the applicability of Ayurveda to better apply this knowledge in practice.
Ayurveda treatment for Urinary system diseases
When it come to the treatment part, Ayurveda describes different treatment modalities for different conditions. Here we are just taking example of one condition. So that we can understand the things in a better way.
In case of blockage of urine
- External application of medicated oils and sweating should be done.
- Medicated purgation (Virechana) is important.
- The medicines should be oil or ghee based in case of purgation in this condition.
- Administration of medicines through anal route (Basti) helps in these cases.
- Medicines which leads to normal movement of the intestine are important.
- The treatment should be specific with involvement of the doshas in this case-
In Vata aggravation case
Oleation is the primary thing to do in case of aggravated Vata dosha. So that the Vata can be pacified completely.
In Pitta aggravation case
Cold therapies are required for this case. Because Pitta aggravated with hot, therefore treatment is always on a colder side.
In Kapha aggravation case
- Sudation (sweating) is important. And physician should plan Vamana karma too.
- Opposite to the Pitta dosha everything hot is indicated for the treatment.
So one thing is very clear that Ayurveda treatment is not just about making some decoction or paste of herbs and to have that. Ayurveda is more specific. Therefore in every condition this is important to consult a good physician who can tell you about right treatment.
Urological diseases we treat at Sukhayu Ayurved
Every disease is not curable!
We understand this concept and accordingly follow the guidelines of Ayurveda. There are certain conditions which are treatable through Ayurveda and we only treat those conditions.
Here is the list of the urological diseases we treat at Sukhayu Ayurveda
- Chronic Renal Failure / Chronic Kidney Disease
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Polycystic Kidney disease
- Recurrent Urinary infections and
- Benign Prostate Hypertrophy
My specialisation is my limitation!!
So if you are suffering from above disease, please consult with Vaidya Pardeep Sharma or Vaidya Neetu Sharma.