When we are allergic we think that this all about the “allergens”. At least in last years this belief is growing stronger everyday that these allergens are culprit. And for this we all are trying to develop – vaccines against these evils (allergens). But this approach to counter the allergens has not helped us till now. Allergies are proving incurable. But one thing after 15 years of clinical practices, we know at Sukhayu Ayurved is- Ayurveda not only helps but cures the skin allergy completely. Here we will talk about the same cure of the skin allergy through Ayurvedic treatment.
Skin allergy is the reaction to irritants, which causes irritated skin like scaly skin with redness and swelling. It indicates the immune system to react and show various symptoms. Infections that cause allergy may be fungal, parasitic, viral, or bacterial.
If the allergy symptoms are severe, doctors advise some tests like Skin tests, Challenge (elimination-type) tests, Blood tests etc. Skin test diagnoses Mold, pollen, and animal dander allergy, Penicillin allergy, Allergic contact dermatitis, Food allergy, Venom (such as mosquito bites or bee stings) allergy.
Treatment includes taking medications, soothing and calming the skin, and treating the condition causing the skin allergy.
Facts about Skin Allergy
- Allergy is a response to external irritants.
- These irritants we know as allergens.
- An allergic reaction happens when the immune system notices an unusual response to a harmless substance.
- The skin allergy can occur because of the “eating”, “inhaling” and “touching”.
- Rashes and hives are the most common things to happen in skin allergy.
- Modern medicines
Signs and Symptoms of Skin Allergy
The below list will tell about the symptoms of skin allergy. But more than that- dry, scaly and rough skin. This dryness and irritation of the skin can lead to chapps and cracks in the skin. Once these cracks are big enough these can lead to bleeding too.
Rest of the symptoms are here in the list.
- Hives (itchy red spots on the skin)
- Nasal congestion (known as rhinitis), wheezing, watery or itchy eyes & scratchy throat
- Abdominal cramping or pain, pain or tightness in the chest & difficulty in swallowing
- Dizziness (vertigo), fear or anxiety & nausea or vomiting
- Flushing of the face & swelling of the face, eyes, or tongue
- Unconsciousness, weakness & heart palpitations
Types of the Skin Allergy
There are various kinds of skin allergy like:
- Atopic dermatitis: It is common in children but can be at any age. It causes red and itchy skin. It is chronic and increases with time.
- Seborrhea dermatitis: It usually occurs on oily areas of the body like face, back, and chest. In this type Scaly patches appear mainly on the scalp.
- Contact dermatitis: When something remains in touch and keeps on irritating- this type of contact dermatitis appear.
Causes of Skin Allergy
We can be allergic to everything. But yes this list is summarised in a way, but never complete. When your sensitivity profile is too high, you can irrtiate with anybody.
Various things can result in skin allergy. Some of them are as follows:
- Preservatives: Chemicals are never identical to the body’s organic system. And preservatives top the list. Preservatives are the chemicals we mix in the stuff we take to increase their shelf life. And not only foods, everything what we store, has these chemicals.
- Fragrances: Products like deodorants, perfumes used to prevent body odour has many chemicals added to it, which react to the skin, causing itching and allergy.
- Medications: Any medicine can be un-identical to the human body and can cause the problem of allergy. In case of skin allergy these are mostly the ointments.
- Ultraviolet Light: It causes rashes or hives which looks like sunburn and cause skin inflammation which leads to discomfort and itching sensations on the skin
- Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, and Poison Sumac: Oil released by damaged plant parts causes rashes and bruises.
- Nickel: Mostly present on jewellery, Belts, Glass frames, which leads to skin allergies.
- Latex or Rubber: Rubber gloves, Erasers, Elastic waistbands, Belts and Balloons, anything which has rubber can lead to the allergy.
- Clothing: Dyes and chemicals to make and transform fiber leads to allergy.
How does it occur?
The immune system of our human body helps to screen any foreign agents entering the body. Immune system decides and differentiates good and bad. External agents can be bacteria, fungi, bacteria, or viruses.
When allergens come in contact with skin, it stimulates the immune system and agents/antibodies start reacting to it which is visible as symptoms like Itching, Burning, Rashes, watery eyes and different cells respond to these symptoms like:
- Mast cells activates by IgE substance and release histamine, which will cause inflammation and kill pathogens.
- White blood cells have neutrophils that ingest and remove pathogens from the body.
The inflammatory response speeds up other immune responses, such as the activation of phagocytic cells. It later diagnose with various tests like a blood test or skin test.
Because of all these complications with this pathology of the skin allergy, it becomes hard to treat the condition in a better way.
But Ayurveda has a different approach for the treatment.
Ayurveda About Skin Allergy
Ayurveda works on the concept of the doshas to explain the diseases. Once we understand the involvement of these doshas, it becomes easy to treat the condition.
Certainly, the rumor out there is- skin allergy has prevention but no cure. But in my practices with Doshas and Gunas, I have managed to treat the stubborn skin allergies in weeks and months. And no need to stay away from the “allergens” too.Vaidya Pardeep M.D. (Ayurveda) on Skin Allergy treatment through Ayurveda.
The doshas have everything about the allergy.
Vata Dosha and skin allergy
The dryness of the Vata is a common feature of any of these skin allergies.
The chopping and cracking of the skin along with scales is all about the Vata Dosha. Secondly, the pain and itching is also because of the involvement of the Vata Dosha only.
Pitta in Skin Allergy
The sensitivity and decision making process are two things which are possible only due to the Pitta dosha.
When pitta dosha doesn’t work- it helps the body to make decisions. Allergy is all about decisions in one way. When human system cannot decide- what is right and what is wrong. Mistakes happen. And allergy is a decisive mistake.
How does Kapha involves in Skin Allergy
When pitta circulates the wrong message, it leads to the imporoper collection of the Kapha.
And this is the reason, Kapha involves in the whole process and complicates the thing.
Skin Allergy types according to Dosha
Just like any other disease- allergy occurs because of the three doshas. But on dosha will be on surge. And we need to find out the dominant dosha first. So here are the details of the different types of the skin allergies according to doshas.
Vata Skin Allergy
Here are the different symptoms of the Vata dominant skin allergy-
- Dryness of the skin
- Cracks in skin
- Chapping of the skin
- Itching on the skin
- Scales on the allergic area.
Pitta Skin Allergy
When Pitta aggravates things look like-
- Burning sensation in the skin
- Yellowish / cuperish tinct on the skin
- Small bleeding points
Kapha Skin Allergy
- Watery discharge from the skin
- Too much itching to control
- Heaviness in the affected area
- Swelling and water collection might appear in the area.
So with these Kapha dominant allergy we have different characters for all these different types of the skin allergies.
With these all micro-details of Ayurveda it becomes easy to cure the skin allergies.
Ayurvedic Cure of Skin Allergy
The ayurvedic cure for skin allergy is all depend on the right diagnosis of the doshas and process involved with the doshas.
There are certain things about the treatment we need to understand in the ayurvedic treatment of the skin allergy.
Ayurvedic diagnosis, doesn’t need “labs”. Everything is with the skills of the Vaidya (the Ayurvedic Physician).
After getting all the details from you and finding the doshas involved in process- medicines can be choosen properly. Therefore, we don’t have any kits to sell you for your skin allergy problem.
How does Panchakarma helps in Cure of Skin Allergy
Certainly, when one has used all the medicines in tons and kilos- patient wants to try something else. Different than the medicines. So people start looking for panchakarma treatments, in Ayurveda.
Certainly according to dominance of the doshas, we go for-
- Specific Basti in Vata
- Virechana in case of Pitta and
- Kapha condition controls through the Vamana.
But none of these Panchakarma procedures are reqired always. It completely depends on the exact diagnosis- how much dosha aggravation is there.
Panchakarma is second line of treatment for most of the condition. But just like surgeries, Ayurveda people started misusing these procedures. This is something we all need to understand.
Therefore it is better to consult with our Vaidyas so that you can be guided well about the condition.